At Oxford Crescent School we have a school-wide approach to teaching appropriate behaviours. School expectations have been defined clearly and these are visible across the school and in every classroom. We encourage OCS students to be STARS.
T Team Players
A Active Learners
We actively teach these behaviours and reward our students when they demonstrate them.
The STARS system:
- Each time a STAR behaviour is observed, students are given a star with the teacher clearly articulating the behaviour the student was demonstrating.
- This star is put on the class STAR chart.
- As soon as the class reaches 100 stars, they are rewarded with STAR time.
Class STAR Time
- Each term possible options for STAR times are discussed with the students.
- Each class has a STAR time kit which includes both indoor and outdoor activities.
- STAR time is 20 minutes long and is either inside or outside.
School STAR Time
- Once the school STAR chart reaches 100 stars there is a school STAR time to celebrate.
Planning for School STAR Time
- Each teacher has an activity planned for this.
- A description of each activity is circulated to all students.
- Every attempt is made to allow children their first choice for STAR time.
- A newsletter goes home to invite parents to join us and informs them if a change of clothing or equipment is required.
Individual STAR Charts
- These are sometimes used to support positive behaviour choices.
- It may not be possible to include all behaviours on this chart. We narrow the focus to one or two areas e.g. safety, respect.